Tuesday 5 February 2013

Maybelline Colour Whisper's Review

I'm super sorry for not posting lately! I was really sick 2 weeks ago and I'm still recovering from it. I have a lingering cough that makes me cough at the most inconvenient times (like when I'm talking to customers at work!) so I've been staying away from my makeup and pretty much.... the world :P I took a week off work where I just sat in bed and then I ran out of sick leave so I had to haul my butt to work. Anyway, you'll hear more from me now that I'm a lot better :)

I also wanted to add that all the giveaway prizes have been mailed now. For those of you who have emailed me, they don't have tracking as the post office worker sent them by large letter in order to save me money ($2.50 shipping compared to like $15 each). He thought it was silly to send them as parcels when they were only one eyeliner or one lipstick per envelope. In addition, if you bought anything from my blog sale, I've also sent that out and I'll be updating my blog sale shortly with lots of MAC lipsticks and other high end makeup. Anyway, onto the review :)

I first heard about the Maybelline Colour Whispers earlier this year and they didn't wow me as I have enough lip products as it is but I still bought 4 of them from eBay so that I could do a review of them. They aren't available in Australia yet but when they do arrive, I'd assume that the price of these would probably be similar to the Revlon Lip Butters at about $21.95 each so it was cheaper and faster to just order them from a US eBay seller.

Maybelline Colour Whispers
A lot of people have been comparing them to the Revlon Lip Butters but as these are like tinted lip balms, I thought that they would be more affordable versions of the YSL Volupté Sheer Candy glossy balms (sheer tinted lip balms). However, now that I've used them, I can see why people compare them to the lip butters.

The colour whispers are incredibly pigmented on the lips and are super buttery so they just glide on. You kind of have to be careful as well since they're pretty slippery! I was putting it on and my hand slipped and I drew myself some clown lips :P

From left to right: Pin Up Peach, Pink Possibilities,
Cherry On Top and Coral Ambition

From Left to Right: Pin Up Peach, Pink Possibilities,
Cherry On Top and Coral Ambition

Again, these are really pigmented on the lips and are pretty moisturising. I noticed that while they can't withstand food and drink, they last quite a few hours. They aren't sticky at all but they do slip and slide a bit so I found that I couldn't apply these blindly and I definitely needed a mirror.

Now for the cons, I hate the taste of these! When I wear them, I sometimes accidentally lick my lips and  they taste awful! Another thing is that Coral Ambition doesn't spread evenly on my lips and it kind of clumps together on the dry skin unlike the other 3.

In terms of the packaging, like the Revlon Lip Butters, the lids can be hard to get off as there's only a small base at the bottom of the tube for you to grab onto to get the lid off. Also, the silver tube inside is a lot skinnier than a normal lipstick tube so it's a bit odd but you get used to it.

I think that these are great as a glossier alternative to the Revlon Lip Butters but they're not "better". They're more hydrating but the taste really puts me off!

Have you tried any of these yet? If you blog, leave a link to your post as I'd love to check it out :)

24 comments:

  1. Hmm these sound interesting, but I don't see myself paying full Australian RRP for it! (Although they haven't been released, I'm sure your estimate will be very close!)
    A shame about the taste! If it's going on my lips, it shouldn't taste bad! But.. they do look pigmented! I love Pin up Peach!

    Hope you feel better soon lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I would buy any more unless I missed a really nice colour or something.

      Thanks :) By the way, I sent something in the post for you :)

      Delete
  2. I wasn't a fan of lip butters, so I would love to see how I get along with these! I might get them on eBay too, before they get released for $20+ in Aus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's heaps of sellers on eBay. They're closer to lip balms than the lip butters were.

      Delete
  3. hopefully they would be released in aus when chem warehouse conveniently has the 50% off maybelline ;)
    pinup peach and coral ambition are really pretty!

    xo; L&M
    www.twoplicates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I loved the Chemist Warehouse 50% off sales!

      Delete
  4. It's good to hear how pigmented they are, but a lip product shouldn't have a gross taste! I think I'd rather buy more of the Revlon Lip Butters (off ebay, haha) that these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. waaah! i am inlove with Pink Possibilities and Coral Ambition. Lovely colors! i am thinking of getting this though. i hate lipsticks that have a gross taste! hmm...

    www.keezandmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink Possibilities is nice but I don't like Coral Ambition. It can be hard to spread evenly.

      Delete
  6. Hiyaa..
    Get well soon dear :)
    Pin Up and Coral Addition is lovely colour :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Pin Up is gorgeous! It reminds me of the Revlon Lip Butter in peach parfait.

      Delete
  7. Ahh I might wait until these come in store to see if there are any colours that I want ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea :) The colours are all really nice when you swatch them. I did heaps of research before I bought them but no one ever mentioned anything about the taste!

      Delete
  8. Love the colours you got!
    I want to try them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eBay! I wonder when they'll come to Australia though...

      Delete
  9. I got some but I haven't had the chance to try them yet... Worried about the taste now :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind taste when it's like the YSL glossy stains but this taste was like... chemical like and awful.

      Delete
  10. I am so glad that you reviewed these, I have been wanting to try them but now I don't think that I will because of the taste issue. I have had this issue with some of the Baby Lips range and had to give those away to my sister as I could not stand wearing them for more than 5 minutes.
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did heaps of research and looked at reviews before I bought them but no one ever mentioned a thing about the taste! I don't mind if my lip products have a taste but I hated the taste of these ones so much!

      Delete
  11. These sound so intriguing - I've read very little about these but of course I want one! :) Shame about the taste though, nothing worse than a good lip product that tastes horrific.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the taste is a bit subjective. I normally don't mind lip products that have a taste but these were awful!

      Delete
  12. Wow, the packagings are super pretty! I wonder if my local Maybelline already have these in their counter. I would love to try these..


    YURI
    Check out my Fashion & Beauty blog:
    http://twothousandthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...