Wednesday 9 October 2013

Giorgio Armani Designer Lift Foundation and Luminous Silk Powder


I was at the Giorgio Armani counter at Myer a few weeks back and got chatting with a makeup artist (MUA) about the Luminous Silk foundation. He asked a bunch of questions about my skin type and the type of coverage that I wanted and he actually recommended the Designer Lift foundation instead. I'd said that I had combination skin and that I wanted a medium to full coverage foundation.

Products not true to colour. The powder is a tad lighter coloured in real life.
Filter applied.

I've been using both these products every day and I'm so impressed by them! It's definitely made me a lot more interested in the other things that Giorgio Armani has to offer like the lipsticks and lip glosses. I wouldn't say that my curiosity about the Luminous Silk Foundation has worn off so I'll probably go back for that one sometime but Designer Lift has knocked my socks off.

The foundation is quite runny and I find it really easy to put on using my fingers. The MUA said that the foundation could also be applied using a natural haired brush (not synthetic). I use one pump for my entire face and a little bit extra to bring the foundation down to my neck. I use number 5 (warm beige) in both the foundation and the powder, however, the powder is a tad too light. The foundation also looks like it's too light when I apply it but it does oxidise a bit so that it looks more natural about 15-20 minutes later. As reference, I sit between NC25-30 in MAC terms and use the following foundations:

  • Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation in Bamboo Beige (closer to NC25) and Cashew Beige (closer to NC30)
  • NARS Sheer Glow Foundation in Punjab
  • Maybelline BB Cream in Medium
  • Hourglass Immaculate Foundation in Nude

The foundation and powder seriously lasts all day. I'm writing this review 12 hours after I applied both products in the morning and they're still going strong. I can also always see my blush and bronzer on my face after I come home from work. The only places that my foundation and concealer (Make Up For Ever Full Coverage Concealer in number 6 and 7) will rub off on is around my nose.

The picture below was taken about 3 hours after I applied the foundation and powder. It looks exactly like when I first applied it. This was taken indoors under natural light and there are no filters.

Please excuse the dead look. I have no eye makeup
or lip products on.

The next picture is what it looks like after it's been on for 8 hours. I did take the photo on a different day which explains the outfit change. This was taken outdoors, not facing the sun and there are no filters.

Giorgio Armani foundation and powder
after 8 hours.

I've also swatched the foundation beside other face products that I use quite often so that you can get a better idea of the colour. I think number 5 in both these products would be more suitable for people with skin tones leaning towards NC25 rather than NC30. I really like the medium coverage the foundation gives so I'll be repurchasing the foundation in a darker shade. I'd also repurchase the powder in a darker shade.

Swatches from left to right:
  1. Giorgio Armani Designer Lift Foundation in number 5
  2. Maybelline BB Cream in Medium
  3. Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation in Bamboo Beige
  4. Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer in number 7


Indoors under natural light

Indoors in the bathroom under natural light

The cons of this foundation is that it does have a tendency to cling to dry patches. I have lots of those around my jaw and forehead so it will sometimes cling to them. It doesn't do it really badly and to be honest, it doesn't really bother me as it's not super evident unless you're up close to my face. The other con is the price! It retails for AUD$90. And for people who are probably wondering if this foundation is good for photos or not, it will occasionally give you a white cast. I wore it out one night and my face looked ok in the majority of photos except maybe 2 (out of 30).

One of the cons about the powder is also the price. It retails for AUD$88. The other con (depending on the way you see it) is that there's nowhere to put a powder puff or sponge. The powder is in a small magnetic compact that's very travel friendly and I love that it has a mirror! I don't use powder puffs or sponges (I carry retractable powder brushes) so this aspect doesn't annoy me but I know that it's a deal breaker for some people.

If you have oily skin or an oily t-zone, it's better that you use the foundation with a mattifying primer like the Benefit Porefessional or the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer. When I pair the foundation and powder with these two primers, I can get away with not powdering at lunchtime if I really needed to (on a busy day or something). A primer that I can't use these products with is the NARS Pro-Prime Pore Refining Primer as it makes my face look like a grease ball. I know of people who love that primer so I'd recommend that you don't pair it with these products.




10 comments:

  1. These sound great. Giorgio Armani is a high end brand I'm yet to try! I just got my first Dior products today so it'll be a while until I can save up to try these, but the foundation is on my wish list now! Great review Jen :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Jen! I'll have to have a look at this one next time I'm in Myer.. I've been on the look out for a high end foundation that really does the job, particularly for "special" occasions! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds lovely, I love foundations that have good staying power.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a job so probs won't be straying into Myer for high end brands xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow great review I will have to check these out they sound really good thank you Connor :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your skin looks great! This foundation sounds awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great in depth review, Jen. This sounds lovely and looks really good on you! I'm a big foundation person but then this looks so good you have tempted me now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. your skin looks amazing and natural!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being in the fashion industry..i'm always keeping my eye out for the latest and greatest makeup and beauty tips for my models. Loving the natural look of the foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey.. Giorgio Armani, I love this brand. I never see a blog like this. This blog is a bunch of information and very useful for a person like me. I really want to appreciate your working. Keep sharing such kind of useful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen, I got an erection just looking at your pictures

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...